Sustainable Investment Management
About This Course
In recent years, sustainable investing has witnessed increasing interest from investors, especially from an environmental, social and governance (ESG) perspective. Investors, both retail and institutional, are increasingly looking for Sustainable or ESG funds or investment opportunities that offer Sustainable/ESG factors, which potentially could enhance the value of a fund’s performance while improving their investments’ ESG performance.
This course reviews the key motivations behind the increased awareness of incorporating sustainable investment/ESG investing considerations in the investing process as well as the types of approaches to Sustainable/ESG investing. The role of ESG in the investment process will also be highlighted and participants will be introduced to the methods to evaluate these ESG research and ratings. In addition, the risks and challenges inherent in the ESG investing process will be discussed in the context of their feasibility when applied to asset classes and alternative investment, and in the banks’ (or firms’) engagement with their clients or investors when ESG factors are incorporated into their communication plans based on investors’/clients’ risk appetites and requirements.
Who Should Attend
- Private bankers in their advisory roles
- Account Managers of financial institutions
- Understand the driving forces and motivation for Sustainable Investing in the investment landscape
- Be familiar with the types of approaches to Sustainable Investing and the universe of the sustainable investing asset classes
- Understand the sustainable issues that Sustainable Investing seeks to address and their role in the investment processes and determining its relevance and feasibility to the clients’ and organization’s needs including identifying the appropriate sustainable investment concepts that can be applied together, and which may be contradictory
- Aware of the research on and support the inclusion of sustainability factors in the portfolio construction process
- Understand the opportunities, benefits and challenges of Sustainable Investing including new and developing trends
- Aware of the leading global and regional sustainable investment initiatives, coalitions and pledges
About IBF Certification
This course addresses the following Technical Skills and Competencies (TSCs) and Proficiency Level (PL):
- Sustainable Investment Management (Level 3)
Participants are encouraged to access the IBF MySkills Portfolio to track their training progress and skills acquisition against the Skills Framework for Financial Services. You can apply for IBF Certification after fulfilling the required number of Technical Skills and Competencies (TSCs) for the selected job role.
Find out more about IBF certification and the application process on https://www.ibf.org.sg/certification/Pages/Why-be-Certified.aspx
Prologue: Motivation for Sustainable investing
- Definition of Sustainable/ESG Investing
- Sustainability Issues
Key sustainable investment strategies or investment approaches and governance practices
- ESG & Sustainable Investing (RI)
- Ethical & Negative Exclusions
- Positive Inclusionary
- Impact Investing
- Governance Practices
Sustainable asset classes universe
- Fixed Income
- Liquid Alternatives
- ESG Structured Products
- Illiquid Alternatives/High Impact Strategies
Approaches to take into account sustainable factors in investment process
- Sustainable/ESG Factors in Investment Considerations
- Sustainable Investing Classification
- The Spectrum of Capital in ESG Investing
- ESG Considerations in the Investment Decision Making Process
Sustainable investment trends including new approaches and challenges
- Sustainable Investment Trends
- Trends in the US
- Incorporating Climate-related Components
- Lifecycle View of the Investment Process
Sustainable investment principles and best practices
- Advancement of Sustainable Finance Frameworks
- Lessons from EU: Sustainable Finance
- UNPRI: Principles for Responsible Investment
- Implementing the 6 Principles
Leading global and regional sustainable investment initiatives, coalitions and pledges
- Best Practice Guidelines & Regulatory Reporting Evolution
- Global & Regional Sustainable Investment Initiatives, Coalitions & Pledges
Assessment - MCQ
Dr Khoo Guan Seng
PhD in Computational Physics (NUS)
GS Khoo has over 30 years of AI, data-mining, management and startup global work-experience, focusing on risk and hedge fund analytics. He joined CAI in Feb 2016, after relocating back from Canada, where he was the Head of ERM with one of the largest Canadian pension fund managers, AIMCo, which he joined in 2011.
Prior to AIMCo, He was with Temasek Holdings, which he joined in 2009 from Standard Chartered Bank, where he was the Global Head/MD, Group Risk Analytics, heading the global team performing all global risk models validation for Basel & BIPRU compliance, and liaised with all the financial regulators in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, including the FSA (UK), the FSS (Korea), CBRC, HKMA and MAS (Singapore). At Temasek Holdings, he focused on developing novel investment performance and portfolio risk management metrics, applicable across the whole spectrum of investment asset classes and horizons.
In his other previous roles, he designed and managed an algorithmic hedge fund at Man Investment Products (Man Group plc.) in the 90s, was Head of Innovation (Strategy & Business Devt.) at the Singapore Exchange, was Group Chief Risk Officer at a SE Asian conglomerate (RHB Capital, Malaysia) and was based in Chicago and Denver in 2001-02 at American Bourses Corp (ABC, spun off from the Man Group), providing AI-based investment and trading analytics to clients trading on the ECNs in N America and in the Asia-Pacific. At ABC, he managed the launch and production of the financial portals of SPH, asiaonemarkets.com and zaobaofinance. com in 2000.
He also provided advisory services to the regulators, family offices, research institutes, global and Asian banks in the Asia-Pacific region on data-mining, ERM, Basel 2 and 3. In addition, he has also advised startup and IT companies in S’pore, Silicon Valley and Vancouver, B.C in BigData, FinTech, and Energy Farming using renewable energy.
GS Khoo holds a PhD in Physics, and has done post-doctoral work at Nagoya University, MSI’s (Molecular Simulations Inc.) research centers at Caltech (Pasadena, California), Boston and at Teijin-MSI in Tokyo, Japan on AI-based data mining and computer-aided drug design. He also speaks regularly at international banking conferences and published articles relating to holistic ecosystem enterprise risk management, AI, operational resiliency, ESG investing and sovereign investing, and published over 30 journal papers on financial engineering, artificial intelligence (AI) applications in financial markets, environmental and materials science.
He is a Board Adviser of the Global-SWF Corporation, Singapore Economic Forum, an affiliate organization of the Paris-based ESG Summit G7 Pension and World Pension Council.
This programme has been accredited under the IBF Standards, and is eligible for funding under the IBF Standards Training Scheme (IBF-STS), subject to all eligibility criteria being met. Candidates are advised to assess the suitability of the programme and its relevance to participants’ business activities or job roles.
For latest development on the Funding Support for IBF-STS, please visit the IBF Standards Training Scheme site.
About the IBF Standards
The IBF Standards are a set of competency standards for financial skills. These Standards are developed in partnership with industry leaders and provide a professional development and skills roadmap for financial sector practitioners to excel in their respective job roles. They currently cover 12 industry segments in the financial sector.
About the Institute of Banking and Finance Singapore
The Institute of Banking and Finance Singapore (IBF) is the national accreditation and certification agency for financial industry competency in Singapore under the IBF Standards. Find out more on www.ibf.org.sg
Early Bird Discount
Enjoy 10% early bird discount when you register one (1) month before the course commencement date.