Technical Analysis Advisory System
About This Course
This 8-hour course is specially designed to equip relationship managers and investment specialists with a working knowledge of technical analysis and its application in financial markets. The main objective is to give participants a comprehensive, applicable, and practical knowledge of integrating various school of thoughts of technical analysis into an advisory system model. At the end of the course, participants can be assured of being able to integrate patterns, price-based analysis, trend, momentum, and sentiment analysis with confidence in their daily working environment to advise clients in the financial market.
Who Should Attend
- Relationship managers and Senior Relationship Managers in Private Banks
- Covered persons under Private Banking Code of Conduct
- Learn the full range of technical analysis, both the behavioural techniques like chart and price patterns and quantitative techniques for different securities and markets.
- Evaluate chart patterns, direction of prices and market trends to profitably trade financial instruments in various asset class.
- Learn to set up the model and technical indicator for technical analysis advisory system for different securities and markets
- Evaluate the historical assumptions and forecast outcomes for making investment decisions
- Articulate technical analysis outcome to make investment decisions for clients’ portfolio.
- Learn to choose different types of technical indicators in different market conditions to improve decision making capabilities
About IBF Certification
This course addresses the following Technical Skills and Competencies (TSCs) and Proficiency Level (PL):
- E30. Technical Analysis - Level 4
Participants are encouraged to access the IBF MySkills Portfolio to track their training progress and skills acquisition against the Skills Framework for Financial Services. You can apply for IBF Certification after fulfilling the required number of Technical Skills and Competencies (TSCs) for the selected job role.
Find out more about IBF certification and the application process on https://www.ibf.org.sg/certification/Pages/Why-be-Certified.aspx
Various Branches of Technical Analysis
- Behaviour aspect of technical analysis
- Quantitative aspect of technical analysis
- Other aspects of technical analysis
Behaviour Aspect of Technical Analysis
- Western Chart Patterns
- Double Tops/Bottoms
- Head and Shoulders
- Flag patterns
- Price Based Analysis
- Price trend psychology
- Comparison of price over time
- Candlesticks Price Patterns
- Hammer and Inverted Hammer
- Hanging Man
- Star Patterns
Quantitative Analysis - Technical Indicators
- Trending Indicators
- Strength & weakness
- When to apply trending indicators
- Momentum Indicators
- Strength & weakness
- When to apply trending indicators
- Market Breadth Indicators
Other Aspects of Technical Analysis
- Fibonacci Technique
- Corrections & projections
- Flow of funds analysis
- Money flow index
- Exchange report inflow and outflow
- Sentiment Analysis
- Market sentiment
- Commitment of traders’ report
Setting Up a Trading Advisory System Model
- Formulating a trading advisory system model
- Price & pattern analysis Indicator’s consideration
- Model interpretation
- Risk and Reward analysis
- Case Study
Assessment - MCQ
CMT, CFTe, BBA (NUS)
Nicholas Tan is currently working as a Trading Representative with UOB Kay Hian, which he joined in 2002. Prior to UOBKH, he had worked for 13 years as a forex trader with banks in Singapore, gathering much invaluable experience in the process. Starting in 1989, he rose from the ranks to vice president and honed his technical analysis skill in the fast- paced FX marketplace. Drawing from his 2 decades of practical technical analysis experience, he is able to relate to the problems faced by participants when utilizing technical analysis in their daily routine.
From 2005 to 2008, Nicholas Tan was involved in the Diploma in Wealth Management Course at a private institute where he taught as a freelance lecturer, a module on forex and CFD trading (stock market). Since starting his teaching in 2005, he has taught FX, CFD, stocks as well as technical analysis courses till today. His style of teaching in small groups and in practical real time environment, the closest to reality trading, has exposed numerous participants to his simple and yet highly effective trading techniques in the forex as well as the equity market.
He is the author of 2 popular books, “Handbook for Forex Trading” and “Handbook for CFD Trading” which are still available in local bookstores. “Handbook for Forex Trading” was among the top ten non-fiction bestsellers. He has made guest appearance on TV program like Money Mind to discuss about forex trading. He had given numerous talks and seminars locally and overseas for Technical Analysts Society of Singapore and many other societies and organizations since 2007 in the area of technical analysis. He has also taught continuing education programmes for UOB Kay Hian’s trading representatives, many in-house CPD for private banks and well as public seminars for finance and wealth industry practitioner.
Besides a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration from the National University of Singapore, Nicholas Tan holds a Chartered Market Technician (CMT) designation from the Market Technician Association of USA. He is also a Certified Financial Technician (CFTe) with the International Federation of Technical Analysts (IFTA). Possessing two well-regarded designations from different world bodies through 2 years of study and examinations ensures that he is knowledgeable and well verse in the area of technical analysis. Nicholas has an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment certificate.
This programme has been accredited under the IBF Standards, and is eligible for funding under the IBF Standards Training Scheme (IBF-STS), subject to all eligibility criteria being met. Candidates are advised to assess the suitability of the programme and its relevance to participants’ business activities or job roles.
For latest development on the Enhanced Funding Support for IBF-STS, please visit the IBF Standards Training Scheme site.
About the IBF Standards
The IBF Standards are a set of competency standards for financial skills. These Standards are developed in partnership with industry leaders and provide a professional development and skills roadmap for financial sector practitioners to excel in their respective job roles. They currently cover 12 industry segments in the financial sector.
About the Institute of Banking and Finance Singapore
The Institute of Banking and Finance Singapore (IBF) is the national accreditation and certification agency for financial industry competency in Singapore under the IBF Standards. Find out more on www.ibf.org.sg
Early Bird Discount
Enjoy 10% early bird discount when you register one (1) month before the course commencement date.